Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Suits and ties.

    For the first time in a long time I'm going to go with the grain on something. While I find myself to be culturally sensitive I very rarely censor anything I feel or say unless it's highly inappropriate. For instance I'm not going to make a knock knock joke at a funeral. However, just a few minutes ago, I realized something. There is a line. A very fine, maluable line, that cannot be crossed with authoritative figures. Recently, I said that my teacher looked like "an ice cream cone." I think he did, but that's not the point. He seemed upset. Like I insulted his kid or something. I don't think the cultural singnificance of  his hairstyle was the issue. Nor do I think he was even self concious about his appearance. When I called him an ice cream cone I undoubtedly deminished his status in the eyes of the class. He talked to me outside. He brought up a point I never thought of before. He implied that he, on the merit of being a teacher, must be beyond reproach to his student. I really never thought about it before. We should respect teachers BECAUSE they're teachers. Not because if they're good or bad or work in prison or what. The deal is that because they worked and grinded to achieve the credentials to teach a room full of students that it is their (our) role to respect them. Now, I'm not a firm believer in censorship or, even more importantly, entitlement to merits congenitally. Respect must be earned. But, like it or not, teachers, doctors, lawyers, all that crap. They've all worked to achieve a higher eschelon of respect in society by those who work under them. There's a big difference between a Wal-Mart worker and a scientist. I've learned there must be a reservation when speaking to those of higher status. I never thought of it, but when I did just 30 minutes ago, hit me like a RPG. Maybe because I've always been used to teachers being pushovers or slaves to their classes that I've always talked to them colloquially. I've learned that needs to stop. It makes me look like a tone-deaf idiot. I might be a lot of things, but I'm no idiot. 


2 comments: